Your privacy is important to me. At nuno-sarmento.com, I have a few fundamental principles:
• I am thoughtful about the personal information I ask you to provide and the personal information that I collect about you through the operation of my website.
• I store personal information for only as long as I have a reason to keep it.
• I aim to make it as simple as possible for you to control what information on my website is shared publicly (or kept private), indexed by search engines, and permanently deleted.
• I aim for full transparency on how I gather, use, and share your personal information.
The policy is based on Automattic’s which is released under a Creative Commons Sharealike license, you’re more than welcome to adapt it and repurpose it for your own use, just make sure to replace references to me with ones to you.
What This Policy Covers
Below I explain how I collect, use, and share information about you, along with the choices that you have with respect to that information.
Information I Collect
I only collect information about you if I have a reason to do so–for example, to provide my Services, to communicate with you, or to make my Services better.
I collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to me, automatically through operating my services, and from outside sources.
How I use your data
Information you provide to me
• Basic Account Information: I ask for basic information from you in order to set up your website with me. For example, your name, business name, business address and contact details (email address and phone number).
• Transaction and Billing Information: When you buy something from me, e.g. website support, hosting, domain name or another service, you will provide additional personal and payment information that is required to process the transaction and your payment, such as your name, credit card information or bank details, and contact information.
• Content Information: Depending on the Services you use, you may also provide me with information about you in the draft and published content for your website. For example, if you write a blog post that includes biographic information about you, I will have that information, and so will anyone with access to the Internet, if you choose to publish the post publicly.
• Your Customer’s Information: You may provide me with personally identifiable information of your customers as part of a support request.
• Credentials: Depending on the Services you use, you may provide me with credentials for your website (like SSH, FTP, and SFTP username and password) to allow me to troubleshoot problems on your websites more quickly.
• Communications with Me: You may also provide me with information when you respond to surveys, communicate with me about a support question.
Information I Collect Automatically
• Log Information: Like most online service providers, I collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information. I collect log information when you use my Services–for example, when you create or make changes to your website.
• Usage Information: I collect information about your usage of my Services. For example, I collect information about the actions that site administrators and users perform on a site–in other words, who did what, when and to what thing on a site (e.g., [WordPress username] deleted “[title of post]” at [time/date]). I use this information to, for example, provide my Services to you, as well as to get insights on how people use my Services, so I can make my Services better.
How I Use Information
• To provide my Services–for example, to set up and maintain your account, host your website, backup and restore your website, or charge you for any of my paid Services;
• To provide Service updates via email: Changes to my Services; Opening hours; Service interruptions; Planned maintenance.
• To further develop my Services–for example by adding new features that I think my users will enjoy or will help them to create and manage their websites more efficiently;
• To monitor and analyse trends and better understand how users interact with my Services, which helps me improve my Services and make them easier to use;
• To monitor and protect the security of my Services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of nuno-sarmento.com and others.
• To communicate with you about offers and promotions offered by nuno-sarmento.com and others I think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on nuno-sarmento.com and my products.
How I Share Information
I do not sell my clients’ personally identifiable information.
I share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
• Third Party Vendors: I may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services to me. This group includes vendors that help me provide my Services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information) and those that help me understand and enhance my Services (like analytics providers). I require vendors to agree to privacy commitments in order to share information with them.
• As Required by Law: I may disclose information about you in response to a witness summons, court order, or other governmental request.
• To Protect Rights and Property: I may disclose information about you when I believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of nuno-sarmento.com, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if I have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, I may disclose information related to the emergency services without delay.
• With Your Consent: I may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, I may share your information with third parties with which you authorize me to do so, such as the social media services that you connect to your site.
• Aggregated and De-Identified Information: I may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, I may publish aggregate statistics about the use of my Services.
While no online business is 100% secure, I work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so. To enhance the security of your website, I encourage you to enable Two Factor Authentication.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
• Limit the Information that You Provide: If you have an account with me, you can choose not to provide the optional account information, profile information, and transaction and billing information. Please keep in mind that if you do not provide this information, certain features of my Services–for example, paid services–may not be accessible.
• Opt-Out of Electronic Communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from me. Just follow the instructions in those messages. If you opt out of promotional messages, I may still send you Service updates, like those about your account and legal notices.
• Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: At this time, nuno-sarmento.com does not respond to “do not track” signals across all of my Services. However, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies before using nuno-sarmento.com’ websites, with the drawback that certain features of nuno-sarmento.com websites may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
Other Things You Should Know
• Transferring Information: By accessing or using the Services or otherwise providing information to me, you consent to the processing, transfer, and storage of information in and to the European Union which may have rights and protections that are different from those in your home country.
• Third Party Software: If you’d like to use third party software like plugins with my Services, please keep in mind that when you interact with them you may provide information about yourself to those third parties. I don’t own or control these third parties and they have their own rules about collection, use and sharing of information. You should review their rules and policies when installing and using third party software.
• Backups / Data Retention: If you ask me to host your website, I will take daily backups of your website for the purpose of disaster recovery. These backups will contain a snapshot of all your website data, held for 30 days. If I work on your website, I will take a copy of your website for me to work on internally within my office. This will include all website data and will only be held on my local servers for the time I am working on your website.